BC Championships + Challenge West
Welcome to the BC Championships + Challenge West Regatta. VCRC’s goal is to run an athlete-centered regatta that provides Junior, Senior and Masters athletes with good racing opportunities in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. The Regatta Committee and Umpires work together to ensure that decisions are made on the basis of fairness and safety, asking always: “What is in the best interest of athletes?”.
- Registration information, deadlines, fees
- May 28 Registration OpensJuly 3 Noon (PDT) Entry Deadline. *Scratch fees and late fees apply after this dateJuly 6 Preliminary Regatta Schedule postedJuly 10 Noon (PDT) Deadline for late entries ($25/entry premium applies). *Provided lane space is available.July 12 Updated Regatta Schedule and Draw PostedJuly 13 9 am Payment deadline
Fees include GST and RBC fees. The RCA seat fee will be automatically added to your invoice by RegattaCentral.
Special Event Fees Family 2x and Dynasty 4x $15/seat
Late Entry Fee (for entries submitted after the entry deadline): double the regular fee
Scratch Fee: $30 per boat (after the entry deadline).
- Late entries will be accepted up until noon on Monday, July 10, providing there is lane space available.
Scratch fees are assessed out of respect for athletes whose races are affected by scratches and reflect the effort involved in creating the draw.Scratch fees are assessed at the discretion of the Registrar and typically will not be assessed if the scratch is necessary because of a scheduling conflict created by elimination of events or placement of heats.
- The course will be officially open for training:ThursdayWe anticipate that the course will be available for training starting Thursday morningCoaches are asked to provide safety boat coverage.Friday
- 7am until 1 hour before the first race. Coaches are asked to provide safety boat coverage.
- for 1 hour after the last scheduled race.
The course will not be open for training on Saturday or Sunday morning before the Time Trial.Safety Boat coverage during training timesTo minimize wake and ensure safety, safety boats are asked to use lanes 3 and 4 only and to putter at low speed. Remember: you are acting as a safety boat for all crews on the water.
- for one hour after the last scheduled race.
BC Championships/Challenge West Regatta is hosted by Victoria City Rowing Club out of the Victoria Rowing Society boathouse on Elk Lake, Victoria, BC.
The boathouse is located in the Elk Beaver Lake Regional Park at Eagle Beach..
Parking: available on site at Eagle Beach, as well as at Jennings Lane (5 minute walk) and Hamsterly Beach (1 km walk along a trail).
FOOD: VCRC is celebrated for the delicious and nutritious food served at our concession- thanks to the Junior Parents. Menu items usually include breakfast sandwiches, yogurt/granola parfaits, Mac and Cheese, Asian noodle stirfry "boxes", and of course coffee, cold drinks and yummy baked goodies.
First Aid: on site
Toilets: please use the portable toilets or the Parks toilets conveniently located near the trailers. Please limit use of boathouse toilets (we are on a septic system).
Water: Victoria has great drinking water! Please bring a refillable water bottle.
Wifi: public wifi available on site.
View the VCRC promotional video to check out the course and surroundings.
The race course is 1850m long, with the start line at the northwest end of Elk Lake and the finish line at Eagle Beach, between the boathouse and the Pat Bay Highway.
- an Albano course with 4 lines of buoys, creating 6 lanes each with a line of buoys on one side.
- 500m, 1000m, and 1500m are marked with large yellow inflatable cubes (1m) (outside the course). The distance markers are placed so that the 2nd 500m is short (350m).
- 250, 750, 1250m are marked with round orange buoys (outside the course).
Start line: Each lane has a boatholding platform, allowing for held starts.
- Thank you to the organisations and individuals who support BC Championships_Challenge West Regatta
- VCRC Juniors, Masters, Seniors, Coaches, parents, new members and "old" members, UVIC athletes and coaches, coaches who helped with the time trial (from UBC, UVIC, BLRC and RCA), and Team BC coaches. THANK YOU ALL
Several photographers will be onsite taking phots during the regatta:
1. Full Stroke Photography
Follow @fullstroke.photography on Instagram for updates and more information.
2. Kevin Light
1. Coxswain weighins are now required and will follow Rowing Canada Rules of Racing. Coxswain weigh in will be open 2.5 hours before and close one hour before the first coxed event of each day. Weighin times will be posted once the schedule is posted.
2. Semi-finals for time trial events. The top 12 boats in each time trial will progress to 2 semi-finals and thus to Finals A and B. The other boats will progress to Finals C,D, E etc.
3.Time Trial seeding- Review panel: As in previous years, the first 16 boats in the time trial will be seeded, with the remainder seeded by random draw. Please enter a seeding time (2k water time) in the space provided on the entry form. This is important! We understand that not all crews will have an accurate 2k water time- please provide your best estimate. NEW for 2018: the seeding will be reviewed by a seeding review panel to correct any obvious misseedings and to ensure fair racing for all. The decision of the seeding review panel is final.
4. Fees: We have moved to a fee per event rather than a flat fee for the whole regatta. The fee includes the Rowing BC fee and GST. The new RCA seat fee ($3.25/person/event) will be added automatically by RegattaCentral.
5. RegattaCentral has a new user interface. Please be aware that entries must be "submitted" in order to be considered entered by the deadline (to avoid late fees). (i.e., you can't just leave them sitting in the "shopping cart"). Payment does not have to be made when they are "submitted".